Best Hardware Wallets
Hardware wallets are physical devices that are designed to store and manage cryptocurrencies. They are considered one of the most secure types of cryptocurrency wallets because they are not connected to the internet and are therefore less vulnerable to hacking and cyberattacks.
Hardware wallets usually have a small screen and buttons that allow the user to confirm transactions and manage their cryptocurrency holdings. They typically connect to a computer or mobile device via USB or Bluetooth, and require a PIN or passphrase to access the wallet. Hardware wallets are also classified under the “physical wallets” category.
Check our list of the best hardware wallets in order of preference, with the top recommendation listed first.
The Ledger Nano S Plus is an upgraded version of the Ledger Nano S, offering more storage capacity and Bluetooth connectivity. It has similar features as the Ledger Nano S, such as secure storage of private keys (with two-factor authentication * 2FA and a secure chip) and the ability to manage multiple cryptocurrencies, but also includes a larger screen and the ability to connect wirelessly to a mobile device via Bluetooth. However, it is generally more expensive than the Ledger Nano S.
- Supports over 1,800 cryptocurrencies and tokens.
- Features a larger and improved screen compared to the Ledger Nano S.
- Comes with Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to use it with mobile devices.
- Offers the same high level of security as other Ledger products, with its secure element and PIN code protection.
- More expensive than some other hardware wallets on the market.
- Limited storage space for apps and accounts.
- Requires the use of a separate cable for charging and connection to a computer.
Note: Ledger now also offers Ledger Stax, a new palm sized hardware wallet with E-Ink touch screen and ability to be personalized with your beloved picture or NFT.
Trezor is a hardware wallet for storing cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and many others. It was one of the first hardware wallets to be released and is manufactured by SatoshiLabs, a Czech Republic-based company. Trezor is designed to be a highly secure and user-friendly way to store cryptocurrency. It stores the user’s private keys in an isolated environment, and transactions can only be signed with the user’s physical confirmation through a button on the device. The private keys are never exposed to the internet or the computer, which helps prevent hacking attempts.
Trezor supports a wide range of cryptocurrencies and can be used with many popular wallets and services. It also allows users to create hidden wallets, which are concealed from prying eyes and can be accessed with a separate passphrase.
Trezor has a sleek and compact design, making it easy to carry around. It can be connected to a computer or mobile device using a USB cable, and its firmware is open source, which allows for greater transparency and community involvement in its development.
- Open-source software and hardware design
- Easy-to-use interface
- Supports a wide range of cryptocurrencies
- Offline storage provides enhanced security
- Advanced security features, such as passphrase protection
- Relatively expensive compared to other hardware wallets
- Does not have a built-in screen
- Limited mobile support
- Not as compact as some other hardware wallets
KeepKey is a hardware cryptocurrency wallet that was launched in 2015. It is designed to be user-friendly, secure, and supports over 40 different cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and more. KeepKey is a Hierarchical Deterministic (HD) wallet, meaning it can generate an unlimited number of unique addresses from a single seed phrase. It also features a large screen display and a physical button for confirming transactions. KeepKey is manufactured by ShapeShift, a popular cryptocurrency exchange.
- Supports a wide range of cryptocurrencies.
- Easy to use and has a simple interface.
- Large screen and intuitive button layout for easy navigation.
- Backup and recovery is simple with the use of a recovery sentence.
- Open-source software and firmware.
- Affordable compared to other hardware wallets.
- Limited app and third-party wallet support.
- Does not have a built-in battery.
- Not as widely known or popular as other hardware wallets.
- The design may not be as durable as other hardware wallets.
BitBox02 is a hardware wallet designed for secure storage of cryptocurrencies. It is manufactured by Shift Cryptosecurity, a Swiss-based company that specializes in hardware wallet security. The BitBox02 features a dual chip design, with one chip dedicated to handling sensitive information like private keys, while the other chip handles less sensitive operations. It supports multiple cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and ERC-20 tokens. The wallet also has a built-in OLED display and physical buttons for user authentication and transaction verification.
The BitBox02 can be used with desktop and mobile applications, as well as web browsers. It is also compatible with popular wallet software like Electrum, MyEtherWallet, and Wasabi.
The wallet comes in two variants * BitBox02 Multi and BitBox02 Bitcoin-only * with the former supporting multiple cryptocurrencies and the latter supporting only Bitcoin.
Overall, the BitBox02 is designed for users who prioritize security and privacy, and want a reliable and user-friendly hardware wallet to store their cryptocurrencies.
- Open-source firmware and software for enhanced security and transparency.
- Multi-currency support.
- Offers a secure, offline backup feature called “hidden wallet.”
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- Affordable pricing compared to other hardware wallets.
- Limited availability of third-party integrations and compatibility with other services.
- Does not support as many cryptocurrencies as some other wallets.
- No Bluetooth or NFC connectivity, which may be inconvenient for some users.
KeyPal is a hardware wallet designed to provide a secure and user-friendly solution for storing and managing cryptocurrencies. It was created with the aim of offering a safe and convenient way for individuals to safeguard their crypto assets. The durable shell of KeyPal provides physical protection, safeguarding the hardware wallet against damage. The wallet incorporates military-grade chips, ensuring a high level of security for storing private keys and conducting transactions.
- Enhanced security with military-grade chips and offline keys, ensuring top-level security for your crypto assets.
- Solid shell Protection that provides physical protection against damage.
- Local storage of keys to minimize the risk of online threats and unauthorized access.
- PIN code support for an additional layer of security, safeguarding your wallet and assets.
- Support of Bluetooth and USB connectivity.
- Limited Availability: KeyPal may not be as widely available as some other hardware wallets.
- Limited Cryptocurrency Support: While KeyPal supports 1000+ chains, it may not cover the entirety of the cryptocurrency market.